[DW] new dress?

I've been planning this surcote for ages and have finally started sewing it as of last night. I am getting a full sideless surcote out of a 1.4x1.4m piece of fabric, which is awesome, lemme tell you. Unfortunately, some piecing is required and that is going to be the bane of my existence, figuring that out.

Because I'm working in silk dupioni and a lot of this is cut along the grain I'm finishing all the raw edges before I attach things together, Might not look as pretty? but it's going to be soooo much easier to work with already-finished edges. Enough of the weft threads have just....fallen out of the sides that I can use them as my thread. I don't know if I'll be able to use them in the whole surcote but I can certainly use them for the bulk of it. Which is good, because literally none of my threads match this fabric. It's a purple-shot-gold silk, which makes it absolutely impossible to color-match.

I may actually need to rip out the seam I did last night if I've sewn the bias edge of the gore to the body panel...or just make that the back. Because I need to have a train on this (I don't need to but I want to, shush), so the gores need to be sewn in such that I can give myself a bit of a train. This is a court dress, dammit, and it's gonna be sumptuous.

I also need to pick up some fur to go around the sides. Mostly to cover the piecing, but also because white rabbit fur would look spectacular against this silk, I think. Unfortunately, what with CoViD-19 and all, I can't exactly go out and shop for it, and the market I was planning on buying some at got cancelled. Sigh.

I've got a few other posts I want to write though, so perhaps I'll get started on those. Procrastinate? Me? Never.


Comments

Popular Posts